I wish I had more time to spend in the kitchen because I’ve come to love cooking and knowing exactly what I’m eating. I try and be as healthy as I can and most of the time I am. Obviously, there are times when I cave in and when I do, I don’t feel guilty AT ALL! Haha!
A lot of you who see my social media, especially my Instagram (missmariakouka) will see that I’m really into my health and fitness. I get asked a lot of questions of what I eat or how I train and so here is what a normal eating day may look like for me. I personally won’t go as far as say for instance cutting the sugar out of my coffee (1 tsp); or not eating too much fruit because of the sugar content; or eating just scrambled egg whites.
1 slice of whole-wheat toast with 2 scrambled eggs.
Avocado and tomato salad
Faki – Greek style lentil soup(recipe below)
Steamed spinach with olive oil and lemon
Chicken and cashews (recipe below)
Grilled sweet potatoe cubes (see below chicken recipe)
Corn on the cob
2 cups of green lentils (In the UK – I’ve tried M&S, Sainsbury and Tesco ones – Tesco ones are the best. They’re in the World Food section)
3 large tomatoes (grated)
2 white onions (grated)
2 garlic cloves (peeled)
2 bay leaves
1 chicken stock cube (melt in boiling water)
- Put lentils in a pot on the stove and cover with boiling hot water.
- Allow to boil for 5 minutes then drain the lentils. The water will be a dark colour.
- Put the pot back on the stove and cover it with boiling water, at least an inch of water.
- Mix in grated tomatoes, onions and peeled garlic cloves.
- Stir and leave for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in olive oil. (I never measure, but roughly about 3 circles.) Add a shake of salt and the melted chicken stock cube. Also add the bay leaves.
- Stir and leave to boil.
- Lentils should never be dry so make sure you are refilling the pot with water. Lentils should not be as runny as a pouring soup neither as thick as just lentils. But rather an in-between.
- Cover and leave to boil for about 20 minutes Remember to stir and top up.
- Lower heat and allow for the lentils to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- When ready, the lentils should be soft.
- Once in your bowl, mix in some white vinegar (1tblsp).
- Enjoy! 🙂
SWEET CASHEW CHICKEN
2 chicken breasts
2 tblsp. shredded coconut
2 tblsp. honey
½ lemon juice
2 tblsp olive oil
2 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp garlic powder
2 tblsp Sweet and Smokey Jack Daniels sauce
¼ cup plain cashew nuts
1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Dice the chicken breasts.
- Mix in lemon juice and olive oil.
- Season with Aromat and Oregano.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients, except the cashew nuts.
- Cook the chicken in a wok on the stove.
- When chicken is almost ready, stir in the cashews.
- Enjoy 🙂
* Sweet potatoe cubes – drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cinnamon powder. Mix and bake in a preheated oven (200°C) in a baking tray for 25 minutes until soft. Turn halfway through.